Join Duncan Stewart as he looks at the top ten trends for 2019 and beyond that will have an impact on your business and your life.
Changes in technology, media, and telecommunications influence every industry, and Deloitte and Duncan have built a reputation as the most accurate forecasters in the world.
Each prediction is data driven, quantitative, and counter-consensus. Getting in front of these trends will allow you to improve your bottom line immediately.
His topics for 2019 cover the whole tech, media and telecom landscape:
- The hottest topic in telecom will be the launch of fifth-generation (5G) wireless networks globally. Not in Canada in 2019, but dozens of carriers in other countries will be launching these much-faster networks, and millions of 5G smartphones and modems will be sold. What does all this mean for businesses?
- Every company knows that AI is THE hot tech trend for this year and years to come…but most companies don’t want to have to become experts and build their own AI solutions. The good news is the cloud is coming to the rescue, with 70% of Canadian firms leaving the heavy AI lifting to others and accessing this new technology through cloud enterprise software.
- Canadians will buy millions of smart speakers this year, part of the $7 billion global market for 2019. They’re fun, fresh, and sound good – but are they a game changer or just a slightly-smarter version of your parents’ 1970s clock radio?
- Top topics for media this year include a deep dive into eSports (now growing faster in North America than in Asia!), the previously unexplored link between betting on sports and watching live sports on TV, and the always-underestimated radio market. Did you know that Canada is the fourth largest radio market in the world, with 90% of us still listening at least weekly, even millennials?
- For those interested in China, there are two predictions for 2019. China already consumes more than half the world’s semiconductors, but most of them have been imported: What will happen as the country strives for greater self-sufficiency? Duncan will look at China’s world-leading telecoms infrastructure, and how they are leveraging that to become a global leader in new technologies. Are there lessons for other countries? The answer is yes!
- He will also take a fresh look at what is new in 3D Printing, aka Additive Manufacturing. The machines are faster, cheaper and better than they were in 2015, and growth is surging as a result, with the market due to be over $3 billion in sales from large public companies by 2020 and growing at double digit percentages.
- Finally, we are likely to see a breakthrough in quantum computing in the next year or two: Quantum Supremacy will be achieved for the first time. That sounds scary, but Duncan will walk you through what it means for your business, how big the market will be, and which industries will benefit the most. #spoilers: you likely don’t need to freak out until the 2030s. Lots of time…
As a bonus, Duncan will also preview some possible 2020 topics. Let’s get the conversation started on robots that work beside humans (cobots), smart cities, the Internet of Things, and much more.